[ubuntu-za] lacie rugged, external hdd

Louis van der Merwe themandibleclaw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 11:19:38 GMT 2008

2008/12/9 David Mark Bodmer <david.bodmer at gmail.com>

> it works fine on windows, i stuck it back in there and ejected it again,
> but that did not solve it. i usually eject because i know how ubuntu reacts
> to it otherwize.
>
> the format is probably the issue here.
> ill have to back it up later this week and take it to a simple fat32 or
> something. ill let u know if i come right. thanks guys
>

> Hi David,

The format shouldn't be a problem. If it's NTFS and you don't "safely
remove" it from windows, you will see a message in the output from dmesg
which indicates this. So I don't think it's your problem. In any case,  if
it was, you could just type "sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt -o force"
and it would sort you out.

As an experiment, why not try the following and see what it says:

sudo mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /mnt

cheers

Louis