[ubuntu-za] Update library?

Alex Faure alex.faure at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 13:57:01 GMT 2008

I have loaded the apt-cacher but when I try to edit it - I get the following
error message:
                  Could not save the file /etc/default/apt-cacher.
                  You do not have the permissions necessary to save the
file.
                  Please check that you typed the location correctly and try
again.
It seems I need to be logged in as a root(?) I am the only user on my
machine!
Any suggestions?
2008/12/1 Raoul Snyman <raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za>

> Hi guys,
>
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 14:12:12 +0200, Hilton Gibson <hgibson at sun.ac.za>
> wrote:
> >> The best way to do this would be to create your own apt repository on
> > one of
> >> your machines / servers. So that server will update itself from the
> > ubuntu
> >> apt repository, and your other machines will update from that one.
> > Hi Alex
> >I ha
> > Have a look at this page:
> > http://www.ubuntu.sun.ac.za/wiki/index.php/MakeLocalMirror
> >
> > If you manage to get it right then all you need to do is update your
> > server every couple of weeks. If a group of you get together you could
> > "share" an entire repo.
>
> While this is one way of doing it, I'm very hesitant to call it the "best".
> If you make a local repo, chances are you're going to be downloading ALL
> the packages, whether or not you ned them. With a system like apt-cacher,
> you only download those packages you need. apt-cacher is therefore most
> likely lighter on bandwidth than a repository.
>
> Of course I could be wrong, but all the stuff I've read so far about local
> repositories involves downloading *all* the packages.
>
> --
> Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
> Saturn Laboratories
> e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
> w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
> b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/