[ubuntu-za] traceroute with Ubuntu

Richard Davin rdavin at cybersmart.co.za
Mon Oct 29 14:45:27 GMT 2007

I've been having an intermittent problem with international bandwidth.
The problem will last for hours and then 'magically' go away.  I forget
about it after a while and go on with my life.

Since yesterday it's happening again.. I either wait forever for an
overseas site to load or they just time out.  In an effort to see where
the problem is I installed traceroute but, traceroute isn't working.

Example:

traceroute to iol.co.za (196.30.168.79), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  * * *
 2  * * *
 3  * * *

This will go on up to 30 with the same results.  The results are the
same for any site.
Shouldn't I at least see My Router, ISP etc on the list?

Is there something 'different' that I have to do to use traceroute in
Ubuntu??

Some more info:
The 'ping' command works
To install traceroute I just did an 'apt-get install traceroute'
Did I miss something?

Any feedback is appreciated,

Richard Davin