[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu Install

William Kinghorn williamk at dut.ac.za
Mon Oct 8 06:45:00 BST 2007

Hi Jonathan,

I am using the alternate CD.

It still takes a long time to install, as the installer tries all the repository links, even with the network unplugged.

"I think debian-installer has some ways to get around that." - if you know, please tell me.

William

>>> jonathan at ubuntu.com 10/07/07 5:58 PM >>>
Hi William

William Kinghorn wrote:
> When installing Ubuntu, how do I stop the install process from trying to
> download repository info from the internet, and also updates.
>
> I try downloading at night, so I don't want to download the repository
> stuff and update packages while I am installing.
>
> I would have liked, an extra step in the install process asking if you
> want to download the relevant Repository and updates (Y/N),
> this would speed the install process greatly.

I think the best you could do until such a future is implemented, is
unplug your network cable during installation. Are you using the
debian-installer (alternate CD) or the Ubiquity (desktop cd, sent
through shipit) installer? I think debian-installer has some ways to get
around that.

-Jonathan