[ubuntu-za] Google Virus Warning :(

Casper casper.labuschagne at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 12:07:41 GMT 2007

Hi Rich,

On Nov 30, 2007 12:11 PM,  <rdavin at cybersmart.co.za> wrote:
> Starting this morning I noticed a strange message when doing searches..
> Google returns a message that says:

As a Univesal panacea install NoScript Firefox addon.  Go to Tools >
Addons and select "Get Extensions" while searching for the NoScirpt
addon.

This disables all scripting by default while you can simply enable
scripting for any page with a simple right-click, either permanently
or temporary.

I can report that my own Xubuntu Feisty installation became sluggish
recently.  Gkrellm showed the Proc s maxing and the CPU cycles at a
constant high.  The activity on the Internet showed constant traffic.

I  disabled all scripts in Firefox, only allowing a few truted sites
and I disabled all plugins and reloading only a few trusted plugins
again.  This restored my system to a usable state.  (Yes my system is
up to date)  I suspect that one specific Firefox plugin for
StumbleUpon was responsible for the traffic and excess procs and cpu.

The amount of potentially unsafe websites reported by NoScript is frightening.

The Internet is not safe anymore, not even for Linux users.

Casper

Casper Labuschagne
+27827054416 ; Skype=krooninfo ;
Struggling with computer errors, virusses and spyware?  Are you forced
to upgrade all your hardware and software?  There is an alternative to
the Windows madness!  Visit http://www.ubuntu.com and install Ubuntu
Linux!