[ubuntu-za] Google Virus Warning :(

rdavin at cybersmart.co.za rdavin at cybersmart.co.za
Fri Nov 30 10:11:44 GMT 2007

Starting this morning I noticed a strange message when doing searches..

Google returns a message that says:

[quote]
We're sorry...

.. but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer
virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process
your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been
infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to
make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
To continue searching, please type the characters you see below:

(captcha box appears here)
[/quote]

Now this made me concerned..  Thinking it may have been my browsers
settings I changed my home page from Google.com/ncr (ncr = no country
redirect) to Google.com.    This didn't solve the problem.    I then
cleared my cache, cookies etc.. The problem still didn't go away.

I was using SeaMonkey.. so I then switched to Firefox browser..  and
still I am receiving the same message and getting more worried.

Going over to my wifes windows box and using both of these browsers
everything seemed fine.
Thinking that 'maybe' Google is having a technical problem effecting
Linux browsers, I switched my user agent in Firefox to IE.

This didn't help and Google still returned the spyware/adware message.
So it appears there is a problem with my Linux machine.   How can I
check my bunto box as this is starting to freak me out a little?

If anyone can help me out with this one I would really appreciate it.

Rich