[ubuntu-za] info on simple clusters, an example in action

Ivan Schoultz ivan at modusbrandco.co.za
Mon Nov 26 15:21:59 GMT 2007

After much research, (many different apps do very specific things, e.g
some only load-balance Oracle databases, others load-balance HTTP
traffic etc.) I think I have found the solution to my old-box/new-life
problem:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/openMosix-HOWTO/x204.html

The openMosix HOWTO:
Prev <http://tldp.org/HOWTO/openMosix-HOWTO/x172.html> 	Chapter 2. So
what is openMosix Anyway ? 	Next
<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/openMosix-HOWTO/x210.html>

  2.3. openMosix in action: An example

openMosix clusters can take various forms. To demonstrate this, let's
assume you are a student and share a dorm room with a rich computer
science guy, with whom you have linked computers to form an openMosix
cluster. Let's also assume you are currently converting music files from
your CDs to Ogg Vorbis for your private use, which is legal in your
country. Your roommate is working on a project in C++ that he says will
bring World Peace. However, at just this moment he is in the bathroom
doing unspeakable things, and his computer is idle.

So when you start a program like bladeenc to convert Bach's .... from
.wav to .ogg format, the openMosix routines on your machine compare the
load on both nodes and decide that things will go faster if that process
is sent from your Pentium-233 to his Athlon XP. This happens
automatically: you just type or click your commands as you would if you
were on a standalone machine. All you notice is that when you start two
more coding runs, things go a lot faster, and the response time doesn't
go down.

Now while you're still typing ...., your roommate comes back, mumbling
something about red chili peppers in cafeteria food. He resumes his
tests, using a program called 'pmake', a version of 'make' optimized for
parallel execution. Whatever he's doing, it uses up so much CPU time
that openMosix even starts to send subprocesses to your machine to
balance the load.

This setup is called *single-pool*: all computers are used as a single
cluster. The advantage/disadvantage of this is that your computer is
part of the pool: your stuff will run on other computers, but their
stuff will run on yours too.

Prev <http://tldp.org/HOWTO/openMosix-HOWTO/x172.html> 	Home
<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/openMosix-HOWTO/index.html> 	Next
<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/openMosix-HOWTO/x210.html>
The story so far 	Up <http://tldp.org/HOWTO/openMosix-HOWTO/what.html>
Components

Ivan Schoultz | New Media
Modus Brand Company | t: 011 463-7500 | f: 011 463-7001