[ubuntu-za] Help needed with Ubuntu configuration - Rondebosch

Jason Norwood-Young jason at freespeechpub.co.za
Fri Nov 16 23:05:53 GMT 2007

Hi David

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 11:04 +0200, David Woods wrote:
> 2.  Sound: there is none.  I'm particularly clueless when it comes to
> hardware and drivers and would really like to get some sound coming
> out of the speakers.
Try this, it may or may not work, but it won't hurt.
- Right-click on your speaker icon at the top of the screen and select
"Open volume control"
- Click "Edit/Preferences"
- Check if there's something called "external amplifier". If there is,
check it and click close.
- Click on "switches" and turn external amplifier off.

> 3.  Medibuntu - I get the white screen of death whenever I run
> GoogleEarth, and the online forums haven't helped.
Try turn off desktop effects under Preferences/Appearance/Visual
Effects. Also follow Ivo's advice.

> Other problems I've encountered are with the Java Runtime Environment
> installation and installing Freemind (mind-mapping software).
The official Sun JRE is available under the Universe repositories,
called sun-java6-jre. Enable your universe repros and sudo apt-get
install sun-java6-jre. I've never used Freemind so can't help you there
I'm afraid.

Random hint: you can tab-complete packages on the command line. Type
"sudo apt-get sun-" and then hit tab twice - you should see all the Sun
Java packages available. Else "apt-cache search sun java" should also do
the trick.