[ubuntu-za] another switch story

Jan Kroeze thejcwk at gmail.com
Fri May 25 10:32:22 BST 2007

It's actually amazing how much more independent people become when given
Linux instead of Windows. You'd think they will rely on you for tech support
*more* often, but the reverse is often the case. At least, that's how I
experienced it.

On 25/05/07, Henti Smith <henti at impilinux.co.za> wrote:

> I have a friend, she's in her 40's and she was using windows for years.
>
> I'm sort of her I.T. guy. If she had computer issue she always called me.
>
> After the n'th time she ran some program or deleted some files, her
> windows
> stopped working again and she asked me to come and fix it. I told her I'm
> installing linux so she can't break the machine. She's been using it since
> then, currently running feisty and happy as can be. The company she works
> for
> I.T. staff refer to her on how to use linux sometimes since she's been
> using
> it longer then any of the I.T. people. She refuses to go back to window on
> her home machine and is pushing her company to switch to Linux on the
> desktop.
>
> She's never root access to her machine, I manage it remotely. Her machine
> has
> never crashed since we switched.
>
> --
> Henti Smith
> Systems Administrator
> Impi Linux (Pty) Ltd
> 1st Floor, Wembley Building, The Campus
> 57 Sloane Street, Bryanston, Sandton
> Tel: +27 11 575 4660
> Fax: +27 11 576 4660
> --
> Privileged / confidential information may be contained in this message.
> Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of Impi Linux (Pty) Ltd shall be
> understood
> as neither given nor endorsed by it. Impi Linux (Pty) Ltd shall not be
> bound
> by any agreement purported to be concluded by email unless and until it is
> reduced to writing and signed by the contracting parties.

"I believe that we'll conceive
to make in hell for us a heaven.
A brave new world.
A promised land.