[ubuntu-za] USB devices (camera) in Edgy

Phillip Pare ptpare at lantic.net
Tue Mar 27 16:59:13 BST 2007

Robert Holm wrote:
> I don't like to give up easily. I did some more research
> and came across an item in the Linux Gazette that suggested
> that making a change in the udev permissions might do the trick.
>
> I went into /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules and changed
>
> # USB devices (usbfs replacement)
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device",		MODE="0664"
>
> to read
>
> # USB devices (usbfs replacement)
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device",		MODE="0666"
>
> and now I can import the photos without a hitch. Magic! I just love
> Ubuntu.
>
> As this is a home computer there are no security considerations to the
> change.
>
> Hope all this will be of use to someone else.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert H

At least with MS windows one does not have to endure such pain to merely
look at the pictures on your camera. If you are an ordinary non
technical computer user, it is very unlikely that you would have
discovered this solution. It is for this kind of reason that Windows is
so powerful despite its insecurity and Microsoft's dubious marketing
approaches.

Regards

Phillip Pare