[ubuntu-za] USB devices (camera) in Edgy

Morgan Collett morgan at penguinlabs.net
Mon Mar 26 09:18:39 BST 2007

Jan Kroeze wrote:
> The reason I was wondering is because if the fstab entry contains a
> umask option then it could affect normal users, but not root.
>
> Having that entry wouldn't be a problem if you use the noauto option.

Ubuntu uses pmount for USB devices, which doesn't use fstab.

See http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/utils/pmount:

"pmount is a wrapper around the standard mount program which permits
normal users to mount removable devices without a matching /etc/fstab
entry. This provides a robust basis for automounting frameworks like
GNOME's Utopia project and confines the amount of code that runs as root
to a minimum."

So it looks like /etc/fstab is not the right place to look in this case.