[ubuntu-za] USB devices (camera) in Edgy

Robert Holm robhh at absamail.co.za
Sat Mar 24 18:30:28 GMT 2007

When trying to download pictures from my camera for the
first time since switching to Edgy the system recognised
that a camera had been connected but gave me the following
error message:

"An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the
USB device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not
permitted). Make sure no other program or kernel module
(such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and
you have read/write access to the device."

If I log in as root there is no problem, so it is obviously
due to the access permissions. I have spent an enormous
amount of time altering innumerable permissions, but so
far without success. To coin a phrase, "So many files, so
little time!"

Has anyone any idea where the culprit is hiding?