[ubuntu-za] Gripes about the wiki

Craig A. Adams craigaa at karg.co.za
Fri Mar 23 07:55:55 GMT 2007

Hi Jason, All,

Please see inline for comments.

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 09:15 +0200, Jason Norwood-Young wrote:
> Personally I'm none too happy with the state of the wiki site for
> Ubuntu-ZA. Here are my main gripes:

Let me see if I can answer some of these...

> 1. There are lots of pages missing, like the SyntaxReference and
> HelpOnEditing page. Since I'm not a wikier, that means I have no idea
> how to correctly mark up my submitted content.

There is a fair amount of help available on the wiki.

For beginners, there is the
http://www.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki/HelpForBeginners page which gives an
overview of how the wiki works and navigating the wiki.

On this page, there is also a link to
http://www.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki/HelpOnEditing which gives links to various
content such as http://www.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki/HelpOnFormatting and
http://www.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki/HelpOnLinking as well as some advanced
usage of the wiki.

The http://www.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki/HelpOnFormatting page provides the
basic information necessary to format the text on any page you want to
create or edit.

> 2. There's no way to find out what pages are on the wiki at the moment
> except by searching. Since there's very little on the wiki, your chances
> of hitting something on the search are minimal. Also, with no links,
> there's no chance of other search engines indexing the site properly.
> The only accessible pages are those of the teams, and that's because
> they're on the front page.

The site map can be found by using the LocalSiteMap action on the right
hand side of the page. See
http://www.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki/FrontPage?action=LocalSiteMap

> 3. All the page template names are in another language.

I don't believe that any templates have been created other than the
default templates which come as part of MoinMoin. I have not worked with
templates on MoinMoin, maybe Morgan can assist here.

> 4. It's kinda ugly, although this is the least of its problems.

Yup, it is. This is why we have the WikiTeam
http://www.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki/WikiTeam to help improve the site.

As a side note, the main Ubuntu web site has just moved to Drupal, and
there is a very nice theme available. This came up during the move to
the new server, and may be an option for us.

Kindest Regards

Craig A. Adams