[ubuntu-za] Modem works with Dapper but not with Edgy

Dave Matthews dave at qualica.com
Tue Mar 20 09:41:39 GMT 2007

Thanks J, very well thought out reply.

Jason Norwood-Young wrote:
> I disagree. You need computer literacy, not Windows skills. You use
> applications, not an operating system. If you learn to use OpenOffice
> and Evolution at home, transferring those skills to a different office
> suite or mailer won't be hard.

Well, that is a very good point.

Perhaps I am guilty of underestimating her ability to learn and her
ability to market these skills to employers.
>> I am asking the difficult questions:
>>
>> "Should I train somebody with basic linux/ubuntu desktop skills? Will
>> they get a job with those skills?"
>>
> In a word, yes.

Ya, its difficult when it comes to taking a bit of the responsibility
for somebody else's economic situation.

Spose there is only one way to find out. I'm doing some basic tutorials
on how to use office tools.
I'll use ubuntu for that and see how it plays out.

--
Dave