[ubuntu-za] Modem works with Dapper but not with Edgy

Robert Holm robhh at absamail.co.za
Sun Mar 18 12:44:23 GMT 2007

I have a curious problem. I have been using Dapper but
decided to try Edgy, which I installed on a separate drive.

Everything works fine except that I cannot dial up via my (external)
serial modem, which works perfectly with Dapper. Another
strange thing is that when I go to System-Admin-Networking
it should ask for the password for admin tasks, but it
doesn't, whereas this does happen for all other admin tasks.

I have done the installation from the desktop cd, from the
alternate cd, and even installed Dapper, established that
the modem worked, and then upgraded with the alternative
Edgy cd, but with the same result every time.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards

Robert