[ubuntu-za] Reason for installing Ubuntu 5.10

Jan Groenewald jan at aims.ac.za
Thu Mar 15 11:53:39 GMT 2007

Hi

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 04:19:50AM -0700, Rich D. wrote:
>    The reason for Ubuntu 5.10 is because the machines (there's two of them
>    now)  I'm rebuilding for the kiddies are old and slow.  P-II's with less
>    then 200mb of Ram and 6 gb hard drives.

It won't be faster on breezy -- you'll just have problems. Sure, breezy
was stable, and I still run it in one lab (switching over to feisty as
we speak). But your reasoning is flawed.

>    These systems meet the requirements of  5.10  To go with the latest
>    version just wouldn't be possible.   There's always the option to install
>    a MS product on these machines but I would like to keep them open source.

No, I agree dapper was somewhat slower than breezy, but edgy and now
feisty got some significant improvements. Requirements is 192M RAM and
2G disk space. The extra RAM is for the installer, not for running the
desktop. Install feisty (after 22 March, beta release), and ask back
on the list how to tweak it. Then your kids will actually be able to
use the boxes for something useful as well.

>    Besides wanting to keep the machines open source I feel it would be a step
>    backwards to install 98 or 2000 Pro on them unless of course that would be
>    the better solution.

No, that would suck.

>    Anyway feedback or input from the group is appreciated,

Wait till 22 March. Download and install feisty. Mail back for
assistance in tweaking for performance.

cheers,
Jan

--