[ubuntu-za] ubuntu-za Digest, Vol 18, Issue 6

Morgan Collett morgan at penguinlabs.net
Fri Mar 9 07:30:13 GMT 2007

Philip Copeman wrote:
> I can arrange to have them distributed through high street retailers.
> I do this with a number of  Open Source products. We sell them at
> between R 150 and R 300 each - the retailer makes 50 percent.  I get
> them made in bulk for R 15 each with DVD packaging. What I have found
> is that even though they can get the software for free, the users are
> happy to pay the fee for having it correctly picked packed and
> presented to them in a convenient retail setting.
Interesting. Clearly a business opportunity.

If you Google for "Linux" you will find a number of companies in SA
advertising on Google, selling Linux distros on CD and/or DVD, including
Ubuntu. Prices vary between around R25 and R100 (not including postage)
for Ubuntu, depending on whether it is a single CD, the set of Desktop +
Alternate + Server CDs or DVD...

Regards
Morgan