[ubuntu-za] Edgy CDs for the community

Morgan Collett morgan at penguinlabs.net
Fri Mar 9 05:15:20 GMT 2007

Jan Kroeze wrote:
> Point taken. Perhaps we should bring this to the attention of the
> appropriate people so they can redirect South African queries to us?
>
> On 08/03/07, *Justin Hartman * <jjhartman at gmail.com
> <mailto:jjhartman at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Surely we as a community can do better? Is it not a better option for
>     requests from shipit to come directly to the loco for distribution or
>     is this the current process? I don't know how it all works but
>     IMHO it
>     needs to improve. I dread to think how many people canned Ubuntu after
>     losing patience or picked up a copy elsewhere.

The subject of LoCoTeams officially handling the ShipIt process in their
country keeps coming up in the global LoCoTeam discussions. Some teams
have proposed to handle the whole process including manufacturing (since
the artwork is available for the covers etc) - but Canonical's issue is
how the finances will be handled in a trustworthy manner.

Craig, let's raise this as a "me too" on the loco-contacts list just for
visibility.

In the mean time, we get around 300 CDs as a LoCoTeam - and I think we
can get them quite soon after Feisty releases. The thing is, we do want
to have stock available for events, and I've given out 200 Dapper CDs at
the Futurex show at the CLUG stand.

There are two levels of getting CDs: The official CD with the shiny
cover, and a CD that somebody has burned for you and scribbled on the
label. While the first option may be more desirable, the second is going
to be more practical in most cases.

 From a logistics point of view, it seems better to not just hand out
the CDs we get from ShipIt as fast as possible - except when we can see
the new release coming and there are no events pending that would
benefit from them. However we could certainly "reward" community members
with these CDs based on some level of contribution or participation.

I've started a page on our wiki: http://www.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki/GetUbuntu
- listing ways to get your hands on a copy of Ubuntu. The intention is
to list *all* the ways, in some sort of order. Please contribute or edit
this page. Please especially see the "Community Members" section where
you can offer to burn CDs for people who are not able to source them
from people they know directly.

If we can get these processes in operation, we can and must start
raising our visibility in SA...

Regards
Morgan