[ubuntu-za] Edgy CDs for the community

Justin Hartman jjhartman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 18:12:21 GMT 2007

On 3/8/07, Jan Kroeze <thejcwk at gmail.com> wrote:
> At the end of the month I can download an ISO for you and mail the written
> CD if you're still experiencing problems, just tell me in good time. You can
> also try one of the freedom toasters, they're listen on the Ubuntu website.

The problem Jan is that I eventually had to make a plan elsewhere but
my point is why offer a service like that if it's so inefficient? This
is also not the first time this has happened either. When Ubuntu 5 was
launched I did exactly the same thing and after a 3 month wait and a
subsequent move to Suse I didn't need the bloody disks anymore.

Surely we as a community can do better? Is it not a better option for
requests from shipit to come directly to the loco for distribution or
is this the current process? I don't know how it all works but IMHO it
needs to improve. I dread to think how many people canned Ubuntu after
losing patience or picked up a copy elsewhere.