[ubuntu-za] installing Ubuntu

Morgan Collett morgan at penguinlabs.net
Wed Mar 7 14:29:15 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 14:44 +0200, Xolisa Tango Nqodi wrote:
> I just intalled ubuntu on my PC That I use for work and i just
> realised I lost everything what can I do? can i the damage be undone/
> Please Help.

Hi Xolisa

There are two possibilities: either you have specified Ubuntu must use
the entire drive, in which case it would have reformatted your drive,
erasing Windows and your data, or you have resized your hard drive and
installed Ubuntu in the free space - in which case you should get a menu
when you power on which lets you select Ubuntu or Windows.

Ubuntu would be the default on the menu, and perhaps the menu did not
appear or you did not have a chance to select Windows. Try pressing Ctrl
after the usual startup screen or BIOS message - just before Ubuntu
starts loading - and a menu should appear. If you have Windows on that
menu, you're back in business. If not, I'm afraid even a professional
data recovery firm may only be able to get back some bits of what you
had.

If you have lost data, I sympathise - I'm sure many of us have gone
through something of this sort at one stage or another, and the longer
we are computer users the more likely we will do something we regret...

I lost my entire Ubuntu 5.10 system when I was trying a milestone
release of Dapper with the new (at that stage) graphical installer. The
resize partition option had a data-losing bug which I managed to find...
Fortunately I had some sort of backup of my data.

About 6 months ago I was intending to delete Ubuntu off a secondary
drive on a system and had mounted this drive at /media/sda2 or something
like that. I intended to go "cd /media/sda2; sudo rm lib usr var boot"
etc, but instead typed "cd /media/sda2; sudo rm /lib /usr /var /boot"
entirely hosing the running system. Fortunately I didn't do /home...

I now read what I type when erasing!

I hope you didn't lose too much and that this doesn't put you off
running Ubuntu!

Regards
Morgan

--