[ubuntu-za] Vodacom E220 USB modem and Ubuntu Feisty 2.6.20-15-generic

CM Schoonbee cmschoonbee at mweb.co.za
Fri Jul 20 10:12:09 BST 2007

Thanks for your response,  Jason.

(The posting you replied to was meant to be sent to Stephan but it ended
up being sent to the list.)

I agree that the E220 sucks.  I am in fact using a E620 as you suggest
for my current internet connection - but on my old laptop as a gateway.
My new laptop has a ?PCCard slot which does not take the E620.  I hoped
that Vodacom would support this new card format but it looks like
they've opted for the USB E220 and since it works for Windows, they will
stop there.

Jason Norwood-Young wrote:
> This worked for me: rmmod usbserial && modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1
> product=0x1001
> The e220 is sucky - get your hands on the e620 if you can. Else you
> should try the Vodafone connection package
> (https://forge.vodafonebetavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec/).

I think now (rereading the forum postings) that that is the package that
is broken by kernel 2.6.20. for the E220 . It is not the kernel drivers
themselves that are broken as I previously thought.  But I may have it
totally wrong again!

>> This weekend (when I can afford to risk my internet connection) I will
>> try to get the wvdial part working.
>>

> I'll send you my wvdial config separately to get you on your way.

Received your config.  Thanks.  That was the config from TAzzTux I was
going to try so it's good to know it works for you!