[ubuntu-za] Vodacom E220 USB modem and Ubuntu Feisty 2.6.20-15-generic

CM Schoonbee cmschoonbee at mweb.co.za
Thu Jul 19 11:59:06 BST 2007

Thank you for your prompt reply and advice, Stephan.

(Just to clear up some possible confusion first.  In my OP, I included
an url to a Bluetooth howto wiki page.  However the article url
inserted there by Morgan  refers to a USB modem.  That is what I am
enquiring about.  I already have my Bluetooth modem working thanks to my
fellow Ubuntu users.)

Stephan, from my initial research (and I may have misunderstood
everything), it seems that the unloading and reloading of modules was
the approach to get the E220 recognized and working under earlier
kernels (<2.6.18.)
The driver in 2.6.18? was then updated so that this was no longer necessary.
Subsequently and unfortunately, it appears that a Vodafone? firmware bug
in the modem was exposed by and broke the updated driver included with
kernel 2.6.20. So even unloading/reloading modules does not work anymore
apparently. The E620 modem stills works with this kernel.

So what I am trying to find out at this stage is whether this is still
the status of things or perhaps whether this is now fixed in an even
newer kernel that is available for me to install. or perhaps that I have
it all wrong and there is no problem to getting the modem to work under
2.6.20.

It sounds like you have got the E220 work, Stephan.  Won't you please
confirm the kernel version that you have achieved this success with?

Kind regards,
Chris