[ubuntu-za] Vodacom E220 USB modem and Ubuntu Feisty 2.6.20-15-generic

Stephan Buys stephan at impilinux.co.za
Thu Jul 19 10:21:36 BST 2007

The problem is that the usb stack mounts the E220's E3 drive before detecting
the serial port. You can fix it by unloading and reloading the usbstorage and
usbserial modules.

Here is a link:

I wrote the following scripts to get it going automatically:

1) /etc/udev/rules.d/51-hauwei-e220

# Rules for HAUWEI e220
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1003",
RUN="/usr/local/bin/start_e220.sh"
KERNEL=="ttyUSB0", SYMLINK="modem", GROUP="dialout", MODE="0660"
KERNEL=="ttyUSB1", GROUP="dialout" MODE="0660"
KERNEL=="ttyUSB2", GROUP="dialout" MODE="0660"

2) /usr/local/bin/start_e220.sh

#!/bin/bash
rmmod option
sleep 2
rmmod -r usbserial
sleep 2
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003

Cheers,

On Thursday 19 July 2007 11:08:50 CM Schoonbee wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I want to try and get my Huawei E220 USB 3G modem working under Ubuntu.
>
> However, from my preliminary search on the internet for how-tos, it
> seems that this device does not work with kernel version 2.6.20 which is
> what a current Feisty uses.  This search included the leads from the
> Tectonic article posted by Morgan on the ZA wiki.:
> http://www.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki/HowTo/3G_Bluetooth_Modem?highlight=%28howto%2
>9
>
> So before I tear my hair out trying to achieve what may not be possible
> at this stage, if you have this device, could you please let me know
> whether you have or have not been able to get it to work under a current
> Feisty. (Please mention the output of `uname -r`.)
>
> Using the info I get, I will update the howto on the wiki for future users.
>
> Thank you,
> Chris

Kind Regards
--