[ubuntu-za] Restoring fstab from the command line

Robert Schumann robert at cantab.net
Sat Feb 17 12:14:24 GMT 2007

Robert Holm wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 10:12 +0200, Keegan Carruthers-Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> You might have had problems because the filesystem could have been
>> mounted read-only. The easiest way to restore fstab is probably by
>> booting with a livecd. Not sure if ubuntu livecd will mount you're
>> filesystems for you, but knoppix definetly will.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion.
> I tried knoppix, and while I can access everything and even edit
> fstab, all the partitions and all the files are not writable, so I
> cannot save the edited file.
> I'm not too familiar with knoppix and I haven't been able to find
> any way of getting root privileges. Am I missing something?

In Knoppix if you right-click the partition you want to mount, you get a
list of options which includes "mount read-write". You need to do that
before editing files on the partition.

As regards root privileges, I seem to recall just typing "su" gets you a
root login, perhaps using knoppix/knoppix username/password. Otherwise,
there is also the option of right-clicking on the desktop and choosing
"root terminal" or something like that.

I don't have Knoppix with me, so I can't check my suggestions....

Robert.