[ubuntu-za] Problems with my Dell machine

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:06:44 GMT 2007

I would ike to thank everyone who helped me on this problem - especially
Thane for the 7.10 Alternate CD and William for the Xunbuntu CD.

To make a very long story short - the problem is not Ubuntu 7.10 per se nor
the antique Dell machine per se (and especially not the 256 K memory), but
an incompatibility between all 7.10 releases (both standard Ubuntu and
Xubuntu) with my equally ancient Mecer monitor. Having tried everything else
that I could think of, I eventually took my new monitor upstairs to try
everything all over again and found that everything - and I mean everything
- works fine. But with the old monitor both OS reach the point just before
the log in screen and then the monitor just turns off.

So now I am in the market for a very cheap but newish monitor! (Actually I
have one lined up that I might be able to get later this week).

The strange thing is that all previous versions of Ubuntu work fine - I had
almost become reconciled to run with 7.05 Feisty.

The best learning experience for me has been playing with Xubuntu. I think
that it is superb. When I finally get my next monitor, I will use the old
Dell to play with Xubuntu some more.

Again, thank you all very much,

   Bill

Oh - and a Happy and Prosperous New Year too!