[ubuntu-za] Microsoft Schools agreement for South African Schools

Will van der Leij will at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 23 13:34:38 BST 2007

Hi Phillip,
The Microsoft Schools Agreement is, not surprisingly, a controversial
story.

It is being pushed extensively all over Africa. Custom agreements are
tailored as they engage with different governments. Suffice to say that
the agreements are not indefinate. They will expire, presumably when
their is a decent "lock-in". Now although that sounds a bit conspiracy
theorish, it is not completely unfounded if you've followed the news in
SA and Namibia for example.

However, that said, Microsoft is also aware that the countries they are
offering these agreements in cannot afford otherwise, so it is unlikely
that the agreements will default in an "ugly" manner. More importantly
is the question of what happens to the learners after their schooling?
Once they are equipped with cut-rate Microsoft training they then need
to enter the business market which is a different story.

However, once again, Microsoft are already looking at "development"
licences of their business software. They want to sell software at a
rate that their clients can afford, plain and simple. Hence the new
training courses that are emerging to tackle the ICDL. Watch that space
closely.

On the subject of support...well, who phones Microsoft for support
anyway? Under _no_ agreement are they going to send their technicians
out to client sites for support/installation. This is generally
negotiated with the reseller or 3rd party service provider. Free 1st
line support is a myth under any software platform, even OSS companies
(who rely on it for revenue).

The bottom line is that Microsoft will (and are) endeavouring to ensure
that they capture the market and at a rate that the market can endure.
The benefit to our learners, however, is so much better if they have the
exposure to multiple technologies. The CAT curriculum, for example, is
supposed to focus on computer applications rather than specific
software. This is most important for the OSS world too where there is a
host of just for even a simple email application.

The schools agreement is also not in-line with the state's national IT
policy/framework on OSS prefence for services. Makes one wonder.

My point is that regardless of which service provider is chosen to
supply the technology, it is going to come at a cost. So why not just
cut the licence cost out of the equation completely?

Regards,
Will van der Leij