[ubuntu-za] Error during online upgrade to Feisty

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 30 09:16:59 BST 2007

Jason Norwood-Young wrote:
> Save some bandwidth and just get the disc. I'm glad to see that the
> desktop version now has the deb files so you don't need to download the
> alternate disc to upgrade.

I just checked, and the Desktop/Live CD does not have the debs for an
upgrade. It only has a few debs to enable people to get their Internet
connection working, such as packages for certain ADSL, ISDN and other
connection devices, and build-essential and related compiler packages if
you need to compile a driver.

IIRC this fixes what you ranted about when Edgy was released, Jason...

To upgrade from Edgy to Feisty without bandwidth, you need at least the
Alternative CD, which has the debs and can do an upgrade. However with
this CD, any packages you installed which were not on the original
install CD will have to be upgraded over the Internet since they won't
be on this CD.

A better bet is therefore the DVD image, which contains all the deb
packages in the 'main' repository (which are all the officially
supported packages - and 'restricted', the essential binary drivers) -
so things like inkscape, which is not installed by default but is in
main, could be installed from this disk.

If you have packages from universe, you will need to upgrade those over
the net, unless you can get the unofficial 3-DVD pack which contains
main, restricted, universe and AFAIK multiverse.

> I believe the UCT Freedom Toaster has Feisty

See here for details on this toaster:
http://wiki.clug.org.za/wiki/Freedom_Toaster

The distros it has are:
http://toaster.clug.org.za/public/distros.php
* Includes xubuntu, for those that have asked about that,
* Does not seem to have 7.04 server edition except for an Edubuntu
Server version...?
* Includes Alternative CDs as well as the default Desktop CDs.
* Includes Desktop DVDs, which are what I mentioned above - a LiveCD,
with all the debs too so you can install from a LiveCD session or
upgrade (or just install packages you need if you have already upgraded).

Unfortunately the DVD burner is broken until probably some time on
Wednesday, so only CD images can be burnt at the moment - however if you
take along a laptop with WiFi you can download isos including DVD images.

Cheers
Morgan
--
Morgan Collett