[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu - modems etc - was Modem works with Dapper but not with Edgy

CM Schoonbee cmschoonbee at mweb.co.za
Thu Apr 12 13:01:12 BST 2007

Thank you very much for that 3G how-to, Jason.

It got me 80 % of the way there and gave me enough insight into the
Bluetooth config files to fix up the one problem that I had viz pairing
up my Nokia phone with Edgy.
I would be interested to gain further comment on  the problem from other
users of Bluetooth 3G.

= The problem =
When I got to the stage of pairing up the phone and computer, the phone
would see the computer and when I asked it to create a paired
connection, the phone would ask for the PIN but would then say that it
was not able to pair.
There was no user-visible response from the computer during this pairing
procedure.

= My solution =
I found that I had to edit /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf to use the "auto"
security model instead of the "user" model.  I also had to enter the
"passkey" in this file. The /etc/bluetooth/pin file mentioned in the
how-to then appeared to be ignored.
Once I did this, I had no problems pairing and continuing with the rest
of the set up.

If Jason or anyone else is able to pair using the default "user" model I
would appreciate further info on how you do it.
I could then extend the how-to if necessary.

Thanks,
Chris Schoonbee