[ubuntu-za] localhost - unable to access

Robert Schumann robert at cantab.net
Tue Apr 10 22:43:17 BST 2007

Robert Holm wrote:
> Since installing Feisty beta I am unable to access localhost.
> If, for instance, to use the dictionary, I enter:
>
> rob at ubuntu:~$ dict -v definition - I get the reply
> Configuration file:
>    server localhost
> Cannot connect to any servers

This sounds a little like your networking (or part of it) is just not on
for some reason. Try "ifconfig lo" and "ifconfig", to see what
interfaces are available - and post the results here. Silly question:
you have restarted since upgrading, have you?

If there's no confidential information in your
/etc/networking/interfaces, it would help if you told us what's in that
file.

> All the entries in Network Connection appear to be correct.
> When I try to ping localhost or 127.0.0.1 in Network Tools
> I get no response at all. If I ping http://127.0.0.1 the
> response is "address cannot be found".
> Using "Whois" on 127.0.0.1 gives the reply: "Unknown AS number
> or IP network. Please upgrade this program".

ping takes an IP address/domain name, with *no* protocol and *no*
directory. So the correct usage is the first one you wrote here, without
http.

whois shouldn't tell you about 127.0.0.1 for a variety of reasons; in
fact, whois information is useful only to us humans to want to know
about who owns a domain name or an IP address, and doesn't tell us
anything useful about solving network problems. Unless someone can
illuminate me otherwise?

Since I haven't yet offered any useful fixing advice, and you appear to
have internet access, I'll point you to a page G**gle told me about, to
do with troubleshooting network problems:
http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/b8ec57204f60dfcb4a2568c60014ed0f/ac6983ac71a95aebca256f3800170b4f?OpenDocument

Robert.