[ubuntu-za] Strange problem with router

Tectonic Info info at tectonic.co.za
Tue Apr 10 08:20:29 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 21:14 +0200, Bill Cairns wrote:
> I recently got a new router (my previous one died but never gave any
> problems until it did). It is a Mega 100WR and I got it from Telcom.
<snip>
> But it gives constant problems under Windows (2000). Half the time
> Pegasus Mail tells me that it can't connect to the POP server and
> Firefox tells me that it has lost contact with its server.
<snip>

One of my routers is a Mega 100WR from Telkom (bad decision) and I also
have intermittent problems with it.

I don't have Windows but on Edgy Xubuntu I have had issues similar to
yours. The temporary solution I found is to set up my machines with a
static IP address rather than relying on DHCP and then setting fixed DNS
servers rather than allowing the router to discover DNS for itself.

It works significantly better than using DHCP and until I have time to
look deeper at this problem it does the trick.

Maybe this helps you?

Alastair

--
Tectonic