[ubuntu-za] mythTV

Jason Norwood-Young jason at freespeechpub.co.za
Tue Apr 3 23:30:42 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 22:05 +0200, martin kemp wrote:
> Hi I run ubuntu 6.10 and have a 1 or 2 old computers lying around.
> DSTV's PVR decoder is too expensive so I was hoping to make my own PVR
> machine with mythTV, has anybody had any success with this? Does
> anybody have any advice?

If you want to do it fairly painlessly check out KnoppMyth
(http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html). It's usually got more
up-to-date TV card drivers and is just simpler to set up.

You should probably also check out Freevo
(http://freevo.sourceforge.net/). Both MythTV and Freevo have their
advantages and disadvantages but you'll have to play with them to figure
out which you like most.

You'll also need a TV capture card, obviously. If you want to record on
one channel and watch on a second you'll need a dual-channel card or two
single-channel cards. Hauppage cards are generally a safe bet. Get one
with an IR out to control your DSTV through your set-top box. Also make
sure your card comes with a remote control.