[ubuntu-za] [Fwd: Change in Licensing Policy for the Ubuntu Wiki]

Hardie Botha hardie at aerosat.co.za
Thu May 25 09:06:43 BST 2006

Adi Attar wrote:
> Hi Hardie,
>
> On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 15:57 +0200, Hardie Botha wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 24 May 2006 12:48, Adi Attar wrote:
>>

>>> And as soon as the material leaves the wiki?
>>>
>> What you are then saying is that you want acknowledgement a few years down the
>> line when your contributions have become obsolete and outdated, and is quite
>>

> You are making 2 invalid assumptions here:
> 1. that it will take a few years for the wiki material to be converted
> into another format, and
> 2. that the material becomes obsolete after a few years
>
> There is nothing stopping (as an example) Canonical from taking the wiki
> material and developing books or training materials that they then claim
> copyright for and sell for profit. I'm not saying that they shouldn't
> make money off wiki contributions, I'm just saying that in that
> situation, I would like to be acknowledged for the contributions I have

I have not made the assumption that it will take years, I just used that
as an example.  Information has a limited and sometimes unpredictable
shelf life.  It could be weeks, days, even hours.  Fair enough to want
acknowledgment, I have no problem with that.

I speak only for myself when I say that I have already received enough
from Canonical without me giving them anything to be quite happy for
them to make some financial recovery from my contributions to the Wiki
for the time and effort they spent in supplying me with a very nice OS.
> made.
>

>> possibly no longer used?  And if a specific contribution is 92% valid, with a
>> flaw in it, then no one should be allowed to correct it?
>>

> I didn't say that no one should be allowed to correct mistakes. Where
> did this come from
This comes from "and others can copy or modify it without restriction".
BTW : I have to give you 8/10 for stirring up debate and conversation,
it was a bit quiet, apart from support issues :)