[ubuntu-za] X server

Robert Holm robhh at absamail.co.za
Wed May 24 20:43:15 BST 2006

Hi All

I wish to update the driver for my NVIDIA graphics card and
the installation instructions include the following:

"Prior to beginning the installation, you should exit the
X server and kill all OpenGL applications. You should also
set the default run level on your system such that it will
boot to a VGA console, and not directly to X. Doing so will
make it easier to recover if there is a problem during the
installation process."

I have spent hours going through all the relative man pages
(and learnt a lot in the process) but without finding out how
to do either of the above, or what run level would be appropriate.

Can someone please assist.

Regards
Robert