[ubuntu-za] [Fwd: Change in Licensing Policy for the Ubuntu Wiki]

Robert Schumann robert at cantab.net
Wed May 24 08:03:54 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 08:11 +0200, Charl van Niekerk wrote:
> On 5/23/06, Charles Oertel <charles at finebushpeople.net> wrote:
> > Adi Attar wrote:
> > > My opinion on this is that it's a basic violation of human rights. I've
> > > shared my point of view as recommended in the mail below, and urge any
> > > others who have objections to do the same.
> >
> > What?  Open Source, Creative Commons, putting things in the public
> > domain so others can share/improve/grow is violating basic human rights?
> >  Kindly explain.
>
> Yes, I also don't understand what's the problem here. Nodoby's trying
> to take our rights away; they are in fact giving us more freedom,
> which in my opinion is excellent news. As the "saying" in South Africa
> goes, "Power to the People!" :)

And in fact you have plenty of alternatives to posting on the wiki.  For
example:
1. Post it on your own website and link from the wiki - since the wiki
now allows you to grab part of the content from there and add to it
without fear.
2. Post it to a forum (ubuntuforums.org, linuxquestions.org,...) and
link to it from the wiki.
3. Blog, tell someone else to put it on the wiki, write a letter to a
Linux magazine.....

If you're that seriously concerned about having material attributed to
you, that is your right - but I certainly don't contribute to the wiki
in the hope that some day I'll be famous for famous for it.

To be perfectly honest, I'm just hoping that nobody sues me for having
blown up their computer as a result of my advice....  If you're worried
about licensing and copyright, you should also worry about the flipside
that you have not been legally indemnified from harm resulting from your
contribution to the wiki!

Robert.