[ubuntu-za] network problem

Keegan Carruthers-Smith keegan.csmith at gmail.com
Tue May 9 22:57:16 BST 2006

> what is lo ?  Local Loopback -> was never there before
> that was never there before. how can i get rid of that. i think that is were
> my problem is.
Loopback should be there.

> root at ubuntu:~# pppoe-start
> ......... Connected!
> root at ubuntu:~# ping www.google.com
> ping: unknown host www.google.com
This normally means you don't have dns settings set up. pppoe is
probably the problem. pppoe-start should setup /etc/resolv.conf
check if there is short list of ip addresses in resolv.conf
Also try pinging an ip address to see if that works
Try 216.239.59.99 (It's www.l.google.com)
If ping the IP address works, it is definetly IP dns problems.

> root at ubuntu:~# ifconfig
> ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>            inet addr:165.146.74.221  P-t-P:165.146.64.1
> Mask:255.255.255.255
>           UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
>           RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
>           RX bytes:102 (102.0 b)  TX bytes:61 (61.0 b)
It seems like you got ur IP address assigned, which is good.

Note: I ain't an expert on this stuff, so I maybe wrong in this reply