[ubuntu-za] USB Modem Driver

Peter Soulsby psoulsby at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 20:25:16 BST 2006

 Hi

I sent a message last week regarding modem problems.  Still struggling with
it, but have narrowed down the problem a bit.

It's an HSF winmodem with a Conexant chipset.  It's made by duxbury
and connected via a USB port.  From what I've found out, in order for Linux
to see a winmodem, you need to alter the software on the modem itself.  See
Ubuntu is picking up the device just fine in Device Manager, but it does not
realise that it's a modem.

After a heck of a lot of surfing I've come to a dead end on where to go
next.  LinuxAnt sells drivers for this exact problem, but charge $20 for the
software.  Now if I'm going to spend that for drivers I may as well go out
and buy a modem that's compatible with Linux.

Assuming I don't use the drivers from LinuxAnt, there doesn't seem to be
much more info on this problem, apart from the odd forum chat.

Any ideas?  Or would it be wise to go get a modem compatible with Linux?

Regards

Pete