[ubuntu-za] Breexy Badger distribution

Robert Schumann robert at cantab.net
Mon Mar 13 11:02:18 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 18:54 +0200, Robert Holm wrote:
> I recently changed from Hoary to Breezy. Now, quite often, when I have
> logged in and try to load a program I get the message to say it is

Which programs? If it is Firefox and/or Thunderbird, then the problem
may be lock files (i.e. ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxx.default/lock) which
prevent you from starting up, or perhaps extensions that you may have
installed.  More generally, there could be something messed up in your
gconf settings.

The simplest, don't-bother-to-figure-it-out solution to a settings
problem is to back up your home directory (mv ~ /path/to/backup/dir) and
then make your home directory from fresh (mkdir /home/myusername).
Logout and log back in again.  If it works, then it was something in
your desktop/x-session/theme/... settings.

You can recover various settings by copying things back to your home
directory.  Start with all the NON-hidden files in your home directory.
Then try out some of your other settings, like moving your .mozilla
directory back.

Of course, I'm not liable for any major cataclysms that happen to your
system as a result of this advice, and I'd advise you to get a second
opinion.

> alternative is to restart but when I click on the shut down button I get
> a smaller window with only the option to log out. If I click on this I
> am left with the wallpaper on the screen and a frozen computer. My only
> option is then to reset the computer. Has anyone else had this problem?
> Any suggestions?

Let us know if you figure it out!

Robert.