[ubuntu-za] Netgear WG111T and Dapper

Simon Fishley simonfishley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 12:06:39 BST 2006

On 7/12/06, Robert Schumann <robert at cantab.net> wrote:
>Two things to be aware of in using "security" via MAC address:
> 1. It is not encrypted, so someone sitting in their car outside your
> house will be able to sniff traffic.
> 2. Spoofing of a MAC address - particularly by someone sitting listening
> in to your traffic from their car - is trivially easy.
>
> You may want to rethink WEP/WPA - although I've found WPA to be a bit of
> a pain, I still use it.
>
> Robert.

Hey Robert

Totally good advice but luckily it is just in use at my house and I
have relatively low gain antennae directed inwards around my place so
if one wanders around outsite there is no WLAN visible to those
nefarious types with nothing better to do that try and snoop other
peoples networks!

Simon