[ubuntu-za] Hi from Somerset West

Jan Groenewald jan at aims.ac.za
Thu Jan 19 08:03:56 GMT 2006

Hi Sally

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:40:22PM +0200, Sally Davies wrote:
>    I just joined the list b/c I'm an utter newbie who's just got organised
>    with Linux today. Now I'm battling to get my printer to work with Ubuntu.
>    It's a Canon Pixma iP1000. Any suggestions? Other than emailing documents
>    to myself, booting Windows etc etc?
>    I'm not likely to participate much having little of any worth to say on
>    any technical matter but if no one minds I'll hand around for a while and
>    see if I'm capable of learning anything.

If you say what you've tried and what happend we can give more specific
advice.

The menu
	System
	Administration
	Printing

is where you set up printers.

BTW, A good place to see your printer support in linux is
http://www.linuxprinting.org
I don't see the printer yo mention there at all. Not under Canon, and
there is no Pixma section. Not good news. The real name might be
BJ-something?

The best place to look for general Ubuntu help is the Ubuntu wiki (and
then this mailing list).
https://wiki.ubuntu.com
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/UserDocumentation
I searched for printer and found this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters/PIXMA?highlight=%28printer%29
It looks long but the instructions are good. If you are feeling brave
try it. Otherwise get a supported printer (check the first link above
first). Post back here if you get stuck. However the canon site shows
no driver; more than that I don't have time to look for.
ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/

I just googled as well for "canon pixma ip1000 linux" and found this:
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardware/printers/0,39001757,39074121p,00.htm

Doesn't look good, sorry (complain to Canon, not Linux!)

regards,
Jan

--
   .~.