[ubuntu-za] cant run live cd

Craig A. Adams craigaa at karg.co.za
Sat Dec 30 05:32:15 GMT 2006

Hi,

There is a known problem with the Asus P5B series mainboard with Linux,
indeed with many P965 series chipset based mainboards. Essentially the
problem lies with the implementation of the JMicron JMB363 IDE
controller driver in the 2.6.17 (and earlier) kernel, which is used in
the live cd. The problem is fixed in the 2.6.18 kernel.

It may not be possible to run the current live CD on this mainboard, but
the next version of the Ubuntu Live CD (Feisty Fawn 7.04) will work.

It is possible to install Ubuntu on this system using the alternate
install CD with a few settings and boot option changes.

For details on the problem please see:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=236802
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Core_2_Duo_Support
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/57502