[ubuntu-za] ubuntu command language

William Kinghorn williamk at dit.ac.za
Tue Sep 13 01:52:29 CDT 2005

Hi all,

if you go to http://learnlinux.tsf.org.za then click on the tab "Linux Courses", which you can download HTML and PDF versions of Learn Linux material.

They are : Fundamentals, System Administration, Network Administration, Shell Scripting, Internals, and Electives.

Send them any errors/bugs you find.

William

>>> charles at finebushpeople.net 09/12/05 9:15 PM >>>
Hi Robbie

Robbie Holm wrote:
> I am a complete newcomer to linux, and have loaded Ubuntu.
> How do I begin to learn about the command line language?

A brilliant online tutorial is at
http://learnlinux.tsf.org.za/moodle/

Start with the Linux History and Fundamentals (100), then do the
Linux Admin course.  It has tuts, exercises and online quizes so is
quite easy to learn.

> The only book I have been able to find is "Linux For Dummies" but this
> deals specifically with Red Hat, SUSE and Knoppix.

These only differ from Ubuntu in the selection of programs available and
the way some of them fit together.  You will find Knoppix most similar
to Ubuntu, since they both have their roots in Debian, and use the same
package manager (apt).

> Are the commands in these different versions and Ubuntu identical?

Yes, the command-line stuff (which is called 'bash') is the same across
all versions of linux.  The biggest differences are in the GUI (which is
why most linux gurus just stay away from the gui).

regards
--
Charles Oertel
FineBushPeople.net

-=-=-
... He's not dead -- He's electroencephalographically challenged.
-=-=-