Neil Blakey-Milner nbm at mithrandr.moria.org
Thu Nov 3 08:27:06 CST 2005

On Thu 2005-11-03 (15:10), Philip Copeman wrote:
> If you take my thread you will see that "If we find the right partners, I will
> sort out the financing."

I read that as being companies.  A Joint Venture (in capital letters)
implied to me some sort of agreement between companies to work together
on something.  It differs from employing someone in terms of risk - in a
JV, both people are taking the risk, but employment means the employer
is taking on the risk of project failure.

> I am a one man business and want to stay that way. I certainly don't expect to
> get this done for free. However I do want to get it done unde the Open Source
> paradigm.

The Open Source paradigm is generally that one person does the majority
of the work, and others attach themselves once it is some (usually most)
of the way there.  It's rare that a group of people form to develop
something from scratch.

One has to form a group of developers with a common goal if you want to
do this properly.  This generally means employing them.  At the
beginning, it's mostly the same as the proprietary model in terms of
costs and effort - the payoff comes as people attach themselves to and
become invested in your project.

It may be possible to treat the group of developers as not part of your
company, but there are severe tax problems with this if it continues for
long.  They become considered service companies to a single company, and
pay a fixed-rate tax.

It might be that you need to change from a one man business to attract
the developers.

> I am still not getting "real " develoeprs form this list. Have I come to the
> wrong place
>
> You say "Finding a group of developers separately who want to work on
> Linux software development sounds a lot easier." - Now I may come form
> a Windows Centric world, but I find finding this group not that easy.
> There are a lot of Linux "integrators" around, but programmers seem a
> lot rarer. I need real coders.

You're probably sending the wrong message - certainly it never sounded
that you were interested in paying me, as an individual, money to work
with you.  Your message needs to be something like this:

"I need some developers to work on an exciting open source program.
This is an ideal opportunity to work in a small team where your input
will affect the course of the product's future.  I primarily need bright
people with 2 to 5 years experience with Linux applications development
preferably in multiple languages (Python, Lazarus, or C++ experience
would be a bonus), and am willing to pay R15k to R25k a month for such
experience, but I'm willing to consider applicants with lesser or more
experience.  This is a minimum six month contract, with a possibility
for ongoing collaboration."

What it tells them first is that you're looking for individual
developers, and it also says that you are serious about this, that you
have thought about the project and its budget, that you know what you
are looking for and what you want to achieve, and that you welcome those
who don't have the exact criteria but who think they could do the work
just as well.  You're telling them that you will have funding for at
least six months.  The six months (or whatever it really is) will inform
any risk-assessment activities on the part of the developer.

The above style informs me (at the very least) of all I need to know to
make my first impression of the job.  It may be "not enough money" or
"it sounds too risky" or "I don't have enough experience" or "too long",
but there's no point attracting people that think that.  But it might
say "sounds interesting", or "I could do that job", or "wow, that's
pretty nice money", and then they can do some research.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm at mithrandr.moria.org