Neil Blakey-Milner nbm at mithrandr.moria.org
Wed Nov 2 10:47:22 CST 2005

On Sat 2005-10-29 (09:27), Philip Copeman wrote:
> Hi Its Philip Copeman here . I am the leader of the TurboCASH Accounting
> project. We are the worlds leading OS package for small business
> accounting ( 150 000 sourceforge downloads). We are 99.8% Windows. We
> are so far up their ass you have to have to light a match to see whats
> going on!
>
> We are in a market against some of the most vicious people in the
> software business. If you think the Microsoft monopoly is interesting
> you are going to love the Accounting business, which is two major
> players each effectively monopolists in their own territories. In the
> area where we play, there is only Intuit (Quickbooks) and SAGE
> (Peachtree, Simply, Pastel). There are are many other niche players, but
> very few mainstream players.
>
> We are interested in a JV with a Linux group to develop TurboCASH for
> Linux. I do not want to "Port" the TurboCASH code, but rather want to re
> engineer it in a Linux Environment. There are a number of "Cross
> platform" and "thin Client" Accounting solutions. These all fall far
> short of our expectations for a user friendly product aimed at entry
> level users, users who are non technical and require lightening fast
> response time for rapid transaction entry. So we want to develop a FAT
> Client for Linux. We have no prejudice to Development environment, we
> would want to develop this in the best Linux environment possible.
> Currently we are leaning towards a solution based on Lazarus/Firebird,
> but we would consider alternatives.
>
> OH yes - we have absolutely no Linux Skills. I can install Unbuntu and
> play asteroids on it. I also like the Tetris like game, but thats about
> as far as I have gone. We do however have a well defined spec that has
> stood the test of 3 generations of Windows development and that is
> currently being deployed  in hundreds of new sites every day in many
> different accounting markets.
>
> So I am not looking for someone to say "hey Python is great  - go here
> to download Postgress" I am looking for partners who understand that he
> reason there is no decent low end accounting package for Linux is that
> it is a huge job that will require enormous commitment from both of us.
> If we find the right partners, I will sort out the financing.
>
> Anyone interested?

Is there a particular reason you want a JV and not to hire people
directly?  Finding a group of developers who know Linux development who
are part of an existing company that does software development and has
the spare capacity to do this JV is a long shot.  Finding a group of
developers separately who want to work on Linux software development
sounds a lot easier.

Obviously it's a bit more risky and getting rid of people is relatively
hard, but now's not the time to get timid and expect failure.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm at mithrandr.moria.org