[ubuntu-za] [Fwd: Root user]

Jan Groenewald jan at aims.ac.za
Wed Aug 31 05:32:59 CDT 2005

Hi

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:02:35PM +0200, Jane Weideman wrote:
>     1.   When in a terminal and using SU it promps me for a root
> password which I was never propmted to setup during the installation
> process. It accepts my user password but although it gives me permission
> to read, write and execute I am unable to do so. ?
Ubuntu uses sudo. Search for Ubuntu+sudo in google.

>     2. Secondly, I have downloaded and installed Gnomesword successfuly
> from the Debian repository but cannot add the modules that I have saved
> on a external hard drive. Once again I can excess all the partitions on
> the hard drive succesfully but again need to be root to add the modules
> to the Sword files.
sudo, I guess. Don't know gnomesword

>     3. Lastly can you advise me how to access my Windows XP which is on
> a seperate partition on the laptop's hadr drive.
Assuming your xp drive is hda1

$ sudo su
$ sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
$ export GID=grep `whoami` /etc/group|cut -d: -f3,3
$ sudo echo "/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs defaults,gid=${GID},umask=027 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
$ ln -s /mnt/windows ~/Desktop/Windows
$ sudo mount -a

cheers,
Jan