[ubuntu-x] Why is there no xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04-edge?

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at ubuntu.com
Thu May 4 21:10:27 UTC 2017

On 04.05.2017 15:57, N. W. wrote:
>> Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> So it'd just be a toy-distro for tinkerers. Like Debian unstable. I bet
>> that'd work great for anyone trying to build products on it..
>
> Could you please elaborate why exactly you choose Debian unstable as an example in this case?

Because that's what I'm familiar with. Didn't mean to say it's a
toy-distro itself, just too much of a moving target for anyone trying to
make a product based on it.

> You choose to use a distro branch which has the word "unstable" in it's name for a "toy-distro" example, well done.

If you prefer "sid" or "testing" then let's use those instead.

> Debian unstable is not a rolling release distro.
>
> Arch Linux is a rolling release distro for example

Fine, I still don't see Arch being used in shipping products. Sounds
like you should be using it?

>> Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> this is the wrong forum for discussing it anyway
>
> Ah, I thought the Ubuntu X email list would be appropriate for discussing X on Ubuntu. Must've been wrong it seems...

Not for discussing general issues around ubuntu.

> That being said: What place would be a better place then?

ubuntu-devel for instance, but this has been discussed there already a
few years back and shot down. Good luck.