[ubuntu-x] xorg package set update for lts

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 13 11:01:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 11:50 +0100, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Could the xorg package set be updated to include the following packages, for the lts point release?
>
> libdrm-lts-quantal
> mesa-lts-quantal
> xorg-server-lts-quantal
> xorg-lts-quantal
>
> and a wildcard xf86-*-lts-quantal xserver-xorg-*-lts-quantal
>
> same with s/quantal/raring/ would be nice too, but probably overboard at this point. :-)
>
> ----
>
> Lets get more into details now, since I think most technical issues have been worked out now, so
> I think this can be uploaded soon after verifying it works locally.
>
> Needs to be updated in precise, for building:
>  apt, for switching stacks https://launchpad.net/bugs/1062503
>  x11proto-gl, from quantal for xserver
>  x11proto-dri2, from quantal for xserver
>  x11proto-randr, from quantal for xserver
>  wayland, from quantal for mesa 9.
>
> New unrenamed packages for precise:
>  llvm-3.1, from version from quantal, used by mesa 9.
>
> -----
>
> All the -lts-quantal packages are autogenerated, by running the lts-stack script from:
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/xorg-server/xorg-pkg-tools
>
> Currently I use 'lts-stack' on quantal to download all packages, and rerun it again on
> precise from same directory to generate the binaries.
>
> Special cases:
>
> libdrm -> weird case to rename, really special case, see lts-libdrm-rename
>  all sonames have been renamed to start with libkms_ltsq or libdrm_ltsq, for example
>  libdrm_ltsq_radeon.so.1 and libdrm_ltsq.so.2.
>  libdrm_nouveau1a has been killed by the rename script.

Hm. I obviously wasn't clear about what I was thinking here. I was
expecting libdrm.so.2 → libdrm.so.2ltsq. That (should be) just a matter
of changing the version passed through to libtool, and shouldn't require
futzing with anything else - things linking with -ldrm will pick up the
right library.

> mesa -> slightly easier, can no longer directly link with -ldrm* so scripts are used
>  to fix those makefiles up. libosmesa6 and libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental are not rebuilt
>  by the rename script.

...which might make this easier.

Since it seems you've already sorted out the libdrm_lts* problems its
probably not worth the effort to re-do this. Sorry about that!