[ubuntu-x] fglrx* Update [Re: Fwd: fglrx-installer/fglrx-installer-updates does not support xserver 1.13 Quantal metabug(s)?!]

Nick Andrik nick.andrik at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:12:31 UTC 2012

> 2) 1002:6740 Unity does not load after installing
> fglrx-installer-updates Radeon HD 6700M Series w/ 8086:0116 Intel
> Integrated Card
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/fglrx/+bug/1068661

My estimation is that this bug is a duplicate of the next one (1068404).
We are still waiting for the original poster to test the workaround
proposed so till he does we cannot be absolutely sure.

> 3) 1002:6760 Switchable graphics on Radeon HD 6400M not working again
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer-updates/+bug/1068404
>
> Not intending to add work to your already stacked TODO list, but Nick
> Andrik's (CC'ed) PPA addressed a regression for
> xserver-xorg-video-intel from 2.20.2 and 2.20.3, whose commit is
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/commit/?id=05dcc5f1699ba90fc14c50882e8d4be89bc4a4f9
> , that prevented fglrx* from working for the original reporter. A
> potential duplicate of this is
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer-updates/+bug/1069199

This issue is an incompatibility between the intel and fglrx drivers
not allowing the use of fglrx module together with intel driver
(>2.20.2).
This means that all hybrid ati/intel systems are affected by this bug.
I don't know which module of the two (fglrx or intel) is to blame for
but a (at least temporary) workaround is to revert a commit on the
intel driver.
A branch for this change can be found here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~andrikos/ubuntu/quantal/xserver-xorg-video-intel/fix-ati-hybrid

Moreover, there is a path missing in the fglrx driver which prevents
the switching to the integrated gpu.
This bug manifests itself after the aforementioned change (since
before we could not use the fglrx driver at all).
A branch for this change can be found here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~andrikos/ubuntu/quantal/fglrx-installer/fix-switch-to-igpu

Both fixes are included in my PPA and users have been using it as a
workaround for their problems:
https://launchpad.net/~andrikos/+archive/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=quantal

May I suggest to accelerate a bit the process of reviewing and
possibly applying these fixes till one of intel or fglrx drivers are
officially fixed?
There is some controversy upstream on whose driver's fault is the
first issue and I don't think it would be good to have the Ubuntu
users waiting till that is officially resolved.

Best regards,
Nick

--
=Do-