[ubuntu-x] Fighting renames, day 1 (now day 2 and 3)

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Tue May 29 17:37:32 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 06:45:58PM +0200, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> Hey,
> Op 25-05-12 09:52, Bryce Harrington schreef:
> > On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 05:09:18PM +0200, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> >> There were a few other things, mostly related to debian/rules and debian/control. I'm trying to use sed for now to automate changes that need to be done. This might break on package updates, but it's easier since we're limited to a few specific files only, so it can be verified.
> > For debian/control please use the dpkg-control script included in
> > xorg-pkg-tools, and if it's not working properly patch it up, or let me
> > know what the issues are and I'll fix it up.  (I'm off Friday and Monday
> > but can take a look next week.)  I'd like to ensure this works as a
> > general purpose tool that we're maintaining and can share with other
> > teams (i.e. Audio).
> >
> > For the rules file, use whatever works.  I've a feeling we might end up
> > having to do a lot of manual tweaking here.
>
> At this point I can reinstall the renamed packages. Feel free to check out:
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/q-lts-backport/+packages
>
> It was generated with the scripts I uploaded to xorg-pkg-tools:
>  - xorg-lts-backport-quantal is special and generated with lts-xorg-rename
>  - The rest is generated with lts-stack. I had to add an extra string to the version for testing
>    so I could upload after making some fixes.

Looks quite good.  I've read through your changes and they seem
sensible.

> It seems to install on the precise livecd, although you have to run updates first with my ppa enabled.
>
> I had to make the following changes:
> - xorg had to be rebuilt for xserver-xorg-core and xfonts-base versioned depends. I didn't know
>   how important they were so I just rebuilt them with an or depends on the renamed versions. I
>   also had to remove version from xkb-data, which was the most important breakage it seems.

Yeah, we could probably just drop that xkb-data >= 1.4 version
dependency entirely; we're up to 2.5 now.  Not sure if the xfonts-base
version dep is really that important either; the package changes very
little anyway.

> - rebuilt plymouth to drop versioned depends on libdrm1

I'm not seeing a versioned depends from plymouth here?

> - libxklavier rebuilt to drop versioned depends on xkb-data

Maybe we should SRU this change since this causes trouble, and eliminate
the potential for an issue.  It's checking for xkb-data 0.8 which is
ancient history now, so is really quite useless.  RAOF, does such a
thing sound SRU-able to you?

> - intel-gpu-tools rebuilt to versioned depends on libdrm2 and libdrm-intel1

Should this be "to add" or "to drop"?
In any case, this should be fine to include.  Also maybe SRUable?

> Still broken:
> /usr/share/bug. Do the files have to be renamed or not? Currently I am renaming everything,
> but I have no clue what I'm supposed to do with this directory.

Doesn't matter.  These look to be Debian's bug reporting scripts, but we
don't use them at all; we use apport and our xorg apport hook is a lot
more sophisticated than these.

So, you can rename or leave alone or even just delete them, whatever's
the least trouble to do.

> Different from the rest:
> xorg-lts-backport-quantal
> - This package I imagined as augmenting instead of replacing, since it has the
>   xserver-xorg-input-all and xserver-xorg-video-all packages with renames.
>   So my version is just installing xserver-xorg-lts-backport-quantal would be
>   enough to upgrade. Not there yet, binary drivers + no hard dependency on -all
>   make it fail.
>
> Test procedure:
> I booted off the 12.04 i386 cd, then did roughly this:
>
> $ sudo sed -e 's/http/s/.*/#&/' -i /etc/apt/sources.list # Remove http entries to limit upgrade
> $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/q-lts-backport
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade # Pull in updated packages that would otherwise break
>
> $ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-lts-backport-quantal \
>   xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-video-lts-backport-quantal \
>   libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-backport-quantal libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-backport-quantal \
>   # And upgrade our stack to precise!
>
> $ sudo restart lightdm # Magic!
>
> If everything goes well, only renamed packages will be removed.
> xserver-xorg-{,video-all-,input-all-}lts-backport-quantal can be
> removed at this point, since they fulfilled their purpose of
> pulling in the upgraded stack.

Nice, I'll give this procedure a shot.

> Did I miss any package, or can this test be considered 'DONE' now?

Looks good to me.  Call it done, and any further tweaks can be handled
as ordinary tasks.

Bryce