[ubuntu-x] LTS Xorg backports package set

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Wed May 16 00:41:26 UTC 2012

Hi all!

One of the things which still needs to be decided is the full set of
packages that we'll need to backport in order to take the 12.10 X stack
to 12.04.

Bryce has a prototype backport script in xorg-pkg-tools¹ which gets a
list of package mappings from a lookup table². I think this list is
currently a bit pessimistic, and could be trimmed, but I'd like everyone
to have a look at my reasoning.

Things which are unrelated 3rd party dependencies I think could go:

libdbus-1-dev
libgcrypt-dev
libselinux1-dev
        * Stable upstream. I don't think the X stack is likely to start
        depending on new features
libhal-dev
        * Unmaintained upstream, in Universe.  There won't *be* new
        features for the X stack to depend on.
libudev-dev
        * Not as stable upstream, but I don't think the X stack is
        likely to start requiring new features here. It is closely tied
        to the kernel, though, so the kernel backport might require a
        new udev anyway.

Protocol libraries which I don't think the xfree86 server uses, but are
used by the other weird servers - xdmx, xephyr, etc:

libdmx-dev
libxext-dev
libxfixes-dev
libxi-dev
libxinerama-dev
libxmu-dev
libxmuu-dev
libxpm-dev
libxrender-dev
libxres-dev
libxt-dev
libxtst-dev
libxv-dev
        * Some of these may end up being required for xorg-gtest
        integration tests; those tests are likely to be testing new
        protocol, and hence require the new libs.  We can just turn
        those tests off, though.

Libraries used by the main xfree86 DDX build, but without a versioned
dependency.  I think these also do not need to be backported, as long as
we can add extra packages to the backports set if they end up being
required.

libx11-dev
libxau-dev
libxaw7-dev