[ubuntu-x] New debian/ubuntu/x.org package status report

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Dec 13 02:13:34 UTC 2012

I've rewritten the reporting tool that lists upstream, debian, and
ubuntu versions of all the X.org packages ubuntu-x-swat subscribes to:

  http://www.bryceharrington.org/Arsenal/ubuntu-x-swat/Reports/package-status.html

For comparison here's the old report:

  http://www.bryceharrington.org/Arsenal/ubuntu-x-swat/Reports/package_status.html

At this point the two scripts should be functionally identical, although
there's a few fixes in the new one, so it's data should be slightly
better than the old one.  So let me know if you spot anything erroneous.
I'll leave the old one in place for a while, in case of problems.

Most of the major changes are under the hood.  This rewrites the tool
from perl into python.  It moves from using a chroot for getting version
data, to querying it from launchpad (so no longer needs run as root;
yay!)  The collected data is stored into JSON files, which are then used
to generate the HTML; this should make it more robust when
freedesktop.org is down (we'll just reuse the last collected FDO data),
and also makes it possible to slice and dice the data in other ways.

As time permits I hope to hook in more info (like the nvidia and fglrx
experimental package versions, non-X.org upstream versions, edgers PPA
package versions, etc.)  I want to try to move it to Canonical's
internal systems at some point as well.  I'd also like to resurrect the
wiki Notes feature and maybe add some other features.  However, I'm
guessing I probably won't get to any of this until next release at the
earliest.

Bryce